Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Day with Dogs

Yesterday, the college where I work hosted its second annual Dogtoberfest, which is a fund raiser for United Way. I am on the organizing committee so I was there and had a ball.

There were many events, including best dressed dog:


I believe Sparkle placed in the top three and for good reason! She also excelled in the Fastest Fetch contest.

Holly, the Golden Retriever, also did well in Fastest Fetch and is a real sweetheart with a wonderful personality. She is two years old and loves to play.


One of the event co-chairs is seen below with her two lovable Leonbergers, a German breed that was bred to resemble a lion. They have a heavy coat and are wearing wet vests here to keep them cool.



Here we have Hattan, short for Manhattan. I have a soft spot for Westies, as I had one growing up. Hattan was excited about all of the goings-on.


Mystic is a white Great Dane and is deaf. The coloring and lack of hearing is the result of an unfortunate breeding between two Harlequin Great Danes, which gives the pink skin and deafness. Mystic won the Biggest Dog Contest, which is measured by height. She was often accused of being a pony. Such a loving and energetic dog!



These two golden retrievers are rescue dogs and loved sitting in the shade and watching all of the dogs go by.


Everyone had a such a fun day for a good cause. I'll never forget the little Pomeranian sporting a pink and black dress and four wee pink sandals for the Best Dressed Contest. I wish I had gotten a picture of that!

If you are thinking about a new pet, I urge you to consider adopting a dog or cat from your local shelter. So many wonderful animals out there need homes.

I will leave you with a picture of our own rescue, Bookie.

Be well!


3 comments:

  1. ohh I am a dog lover! My favorites are Westies and golden retrievers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and what a sweet picture of your Bookie!

    ReplyDelete